Open Guard / Closed Guard in Brazilian Jiujitsu

Over the past couple of weeks I feel like my guard game has noticeably progressed. I'm starting to catch more sweeps and submissions from the bottom. I've been starting to mix things up and try to work my open guard when my opponent attempts a pass and I've got good sleeve control.

Best advice ever was from a Marcelo Garcia. Don't let them get too close where they lock you down. Unless you have a setup don't just let them come into your guard. I have a few sweeps that always work against someone that doesn't know my game. I like them try to muscle the pass and then I sweep them. After a few rolls or once they see what I'm doing they adjust and then I start adjusting. I don't let them get comfortable if i can. I push on there head if they grab an ankle, I threaten leglocks, kimuras,... I constantly move so, they can't just grab a leg, arm or head and muscle their way to side control.

One of the most important if not "THE" most important things in an effective guard is your hip movement and the ability to keep your hips from being controlled by your opponent. Followed closely by grip/wrist/collar control....meaning you can't let him put his hands where he needs them to gain control of your movement. That's basically it....easier said than done though.

The best way to train your guard is to drill it. One guy on the mat and he has to start from closed guard and his objective is to sweep or submit. 5 min rounds and go through at least 3-4 opponents. Once he is done with all his rounds the next guy goes in.

You will learn a lot that way.